Monday, March 24, 2014

Week 59 - TALK WITH EVERYONE!

Last week:

Hey, here we are, what rhymes with Sierra Vista?
Well, nothing really, but the news that's from my Sista!
It's uncle time yo, and a new B-I-L.
Just out here in SV, savin' people from Satan's hell.
Every transfer is a test, but inspired of God.
If you didn't know, go check it on my blog!

Every so often there will be a week that just stupendously flies by....this past week was one of those. 

Pig face attempt #1

Pig face (failed) attempt #2


A few weeks ago I contacted really quickly a couple right before they left Great Clips on PDAY, and we got their phone # and they said they needed furniture. Fortunately enough, an investigator recently before told us he had a couch for us, and then a member said she had a desk for us. We went over to their house where we taught them and they went to church the next day! The missionaries are working with them daily and they are progressing and looking like they'll get baptized. "It's a testimony of why we must talk with everyone." - Their ward mission leader said at our Stake Ward Mission Leader meeting last night with a member of the Stake Presidency. That meeting went REALLY well and we talked a lot about the Ward Mission Process and implementing it within Ward Councils and all the members. We really hope it really gets things going.

Cleaning a members car right before they fed us. I miss cleaning cars.


Last week our zone had more progressing investigators (PI's) than we've ever seen. It was so cool. Sierra Vista over doubled PI's. Wow. This past week at Zone Conference where it was combined with 2 other zones, the focus was on Repentance. Zone Leader's trained on 1) Keeping commandments 2) Extending baptism dates, and then Elder Simpson and I trained on 3) Investigators Repenting Thru coming to Church. It went really well and good things came from it (as we can see in the #'s!) It was awesome doing calls last night.

Here's a little look at our training for zone conference - to kind of put things in better view


Elder Simpson went on an exchange to Bisbee last week. Cool things always happen on exchanges. Elder Schwantes (Brazil Visa waiter) came with us and we went out on foot for the morning. God literally led us to people. Cutting through random neighborhoods and talking with anyone and everyone we saw. In the end, we picked up 2 new investigators and a couple potentials. The previous day Elder Simpson and I walked in 3 areas, so a lot of miles haha. Talking with anyone and everyone like Elder Ballard has encouraged us to do. Talking to people is our favorite thing to do, and my companion use to sell security systems in the pre-earth (mission) life, so no one can escape!

After attending a funeral of a member in our ward, my companion and I headed out early to try and get some things done. While driving on a road, with no dinner appointment or time to eat and not in the most uplifting mood, we saw a homeless guy chillin' on the grass in the park. Sure enough, Elder Simpson turned around and we went and taught him the Restoration and almost set a baptism date with him! SO CLOSE. It was a very powerful 1st vision which is my favorite part of that lesson. Brings tears to my eyes time and time again. TALK WITH EVERYONE!

Another instance of talking with everyone. While waiting for some members to pick us up, and I was on the phone with an office missionary about cars in our zone, two random people drove up who then invited us to their home right off the bat! In our first lesson with them, Anthony and Ashley said as soon as they saw us, they said "I know they're good people." so they talked to us. Anthony is a former crystal-meth user and yet the nicest person out here. Will keep y'all updated :D

A car full of 3 high school girls invited us to a 'kickback'....uhm. Huh? Random haha. We invited them to church. :D

In our training at Zone Conference, we focused it on an analogy of something that randomly popped into my head one transfer with Elder Smith. It's the analogy of "Job Shadowing" someone in relation to an investigator going to church before their baptism. The person job shadowing learns what to do and is taught what their purpose is until one day they get a paycheck for doing the exact same thing they were doing before. The process until that payday is related to investigators coming to church before their baptism and learning how to repent, and learning the importance of the sacrament, until one day, they can renew their covenants with God, even though they aren't doing anything different at church. It was a sweet training. 

Our zone at zone conference! Our Zone ROCKS.


I hate talking about transfers since it really is a distraction, but I've had a feeling that I'm leaving this next one. My comp. agrees. We shall see what happens. Elder Simpson and I met SOE this past week. It was really a great week where we were blessed.

Stolen camera.


Lanney (member) and Aaron (investigator) and their kids came to church yesterday for the first time that either of us have seen! They loved it too! They were so happy afterwards. Aaron drinks like 3 or 4 MONSTERS a day. I love going over there, regardless of my Monster fast. 

Yesterday was busy for us. Teaching mission prep., church, teaching Gospel Essentials, lessons throughout the day, then Stake WML meeting. After church we watched the Restoration video with an investigator, Kent, who wouldn't seem to agree or belief (or try to) anything we taught. It was frustrating as one of his biggest concerns was that he believed us missionaries got some sort of reward for having him at church. Regardless of our expectations we continued to try and set, it wouldn't go through. I brought up that we help people the same reason Christ did, but in the end....he was dropped.

We get close as missionaries.


Crap. Time's almost up.



Read these this morning:
2Timothy:2:15-16 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 24) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient."

Hailey - an investigator missionaries have been talking with for awhile...we were the first to teach her something haha. She moved to Texas, but said she'll read and pray about the things gone over with her.


Well..family, friends, pets, everyone. I know that God has a plan for you. Many of us are just blessed to have that knowledge at this time. Something I've promised myself I won't do is asking President to put me with someone specific or send me to some certain area because I know the Lord does have a plan, and I don't want my opinion to intervene with God's. The Gospel has blessed me, my family, and everyone we come across more than anything else. I know Christ suffered for our sins, it kills me to know that whenever I accidentally hurt someone, or my weaknesses get in the way, or if I have a pain of any kind, that it hurt Christ that much more. There wasn't any person that lived on the earth that hasn't experienced some sort of sorrow (President Monson) and I'm grateful for the chance to serve a mission. My testimony continues to grow. I love to hear from everyone and the incredible things that are happening to family and friends. Y'all are in my prayers all the time. What more we need yo? This church is true, and it's saved my life. En el nombre de JesucCristo. AMen.

Well. Time's 'bout up. That royally sucks. But we got things to do! 

Can't wait to hear from all y'all! hehe.

-Elder Dallin Hales

I love you.

No comments: