Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 63 - What a small world.

This morning while cleaning, I thought of a song I'm going to write. The chorus will be something like this:

"It's the simple answers, that are guarded by angels. 
To let you know, there are reasons out there.
So come on and praise, and feel God's great love.
It's the simple answers, that we all will care."

The verses will have to do with the story of 'Dave Blake' the one who passed away in September. I might include something about Todd who passed away a year ago yesterday out in Deming. Man. God has a plan.

So, holy crap. Our first week in the transfer up here in the Gila Valley was NUTS! (good thing). After emailing last week, it was chaos. We had a baptism that night! It was for a girl named Tracie who apparently went through hell to get to where she is now. The baptism prep. was intense. So many things needed to get done and I didn't know anyone. In all in all, the baptism went VERY well and had a good 50 or so YSA's show up as support Tracie. 

Tracie! - baptism on Tuesday night! She's a native and just doesn't give up. Can't wait to work with her more and more.


Right after the baptism, missionaries do a '5MTM' (5 minute teaching moment) where they'll do a short Restoration, Plan of Salvation, or Gospel of Jesus Christ lesson....well the missionaries didn't show up that said they would do it...so I talked with the WML and because my companion Elder Netane baptized Tracie....he was a little wet. So I asked if he wanted prelude music or for me to do it....well he said for me to do it. So I was able to share the Restoration....and it was one of the most spirit direction short Resto. lessons yet. Wow. I'm grateful for that. It goes to show the importance of a baptism! If God wants it done RIGHT, He will have it done right, no matter what kind of a tard (me) is involved. It was a great day, along with meeting a lot of YSA's from the 1st ward.

 Ensign here we come!

My companion is Elder Netane....STUD status. We get along awesome. He reminds me a lot of Elder Auva'a. Elder Netane is Tongan. Man, just something about the Poly's that rocks. They are so chill, but willing to work. Elder Netane and I were in East Tucson together and are definitely having fun with missionary work out here. We walk around on Eastern Arizona College (where we're at right now) a lot since the institute is there where we teach a lot and have FHE's and all that awesome stuff. I love serving YSA.

Catching shrimp in the river by the institute...we went and talked to this guy who is a member and he was catching things the Samoan way!

One of our investigators, Christian, is SOLID as. He's been taught everything and we go and daily nourish him with short lessons to keep him going. He's very ready and said "better sooner than later" while we're waiting for the 1st Presidency on approval. After that, we have the go!
This was a place we contacted/tracted. God loves to put me in the boonies.


My 2nd day up here in the Gila Valley, we randomly went to the institute for some reason...EmmaLee was there! A former invest. who ALMOST got baptized. We talked with her and asked a random dude to join the lesson, and wow, the lesson was awesome. EmmaLee knows the BOM is true, so there was something holding her back. The lesson went very well as the member that we took served a mission, but hasn't been able to go to church much due to his job. He got very emotional sharing his testimony, and it goes to show there are no coincidences in the eyes of God. 

Two days later, she met with us again! She hasn't met with missionaries for a few months now. Her boyfriend joined the lesson and it went great. Elder Chamberlain, who is now home (love you man!) wrote a few people down to "Not give up on!" since he served here a few months back. During the 2nd lesson, I pulled out my planner, and slid it to her to show her the list of people. Her name was on the list.....she put her hands up to her face and said "I feel like I'm going to cry!" because she noticed the "coincidence." The lesson went well as we read Mosiah 18:8-10 and then dug and dug and got a concern from her. She is scared to slip before baptism. We learned some other things and then we asked if she wanted a Priesthood Blessing, something she had been thinking about. I was able to do that and afterwards she said she felt "awesome." She's been in contact with us and good things are in store. We really hope to set a date with her and have her baptized! YSA rocks.

The list given to me from former Elder Chamberlain which was a sweet experience while teaching EmmaLee.

I finished the New Testament this past week. WOOHOO!

This a missionary meal when we don't eat with members.

The first day here, they told me that we'd be speaking in Stake Conference...well we did! I loved being able to speak at Stake Conference. At 4pm, President Larsen (President Killpack's 2nd counselor) asked us to do a role play for the Stake Priesthood leadership meeting. It went well and then 2 hours later we spoke in Stake Conference! The temple President, Stake Patriarch, and Stake presidency was there. There was a few hundred people at the Thatcher Stake Center! It rocked face. Our talks went smoothly and felt driven by the spirit. I've never had such good support after a talk before, neither have I felt so welcomed into any area. The talk went well. Some dude quoted me in the Sunday session. Almost 2,000 people were there. Must be a highly LDS populated place! The big hit was "There is no comfort in your growth zone, and there is no growth in your comfort zone." It was great to be involved.

After the talks, two people came up to me, Ammon and his wife (sorry I can't remember your name! [Taleah!!]). They are good friends with Christy and Ben! Guess what else? My sister and Bro-in-law's house is a 2 minute walk from our apartments! We talked to the guy who lived there....he is very anti......very....but it was still exciting to see! Then last night while at Bishop Bluth's house (1st ward) he was asking me a lot of questions to get to know me and he was the pest control dude for CB! hahah small world. We laughed pretty hard. He said, "Is she the runner with over a hundred pairs of shoes??" hahahah I laughed pretty hard. They remember how awesome they were when he went over. Wow. What a small world. Maybe that's why I feel at home here...because I almost am! Whaa?

Ohhhh just a house we walk by all the time....ohhh...that's where my Sister and Bro-in-law used to live!!



The 1st ward mission leader taught the 'Cook' family down the street from my dad's house...wow, small world!

Well time is about up. The work is good up here as there is much work to do. It's a chance to take what was learned in Sierra Vista which was slow at one point, and see what we can make of the Valley. Our zone is TINY, but plenty of missionary work out there. "Are you mormon?" - "yes" - "....oh!....sweet!" haha. We ask for a lot of referrals up here.
I love you all so much! Go share the gospel :]


and go running..


and drink a monster.

I love you all. The church is true and I know Christ suffered for us.

Happy late Easter! 
This is a meal when you eat with (12 Samoan) members! Holy Easter feast! They literally took a pig, cooked it, put it on the table, and went at it....dang it was good. I got full a lot sooner than they did...


-Elder Hales

No comments: