Monday, December 29, 2014

Week 99 - "Merry Christmas Elders!! She's not a member. Go for it."

So Christmas...is done. There's no snow anywhere here!! :D It's pretty rad. Most people don't like it, but it's legit. This week is going to be crazy with the things that are happening for New Year's and MLC. Last Christmas, I came down with a bug. The same thing happened to me this year...hmm.. I wonder what God is trying to teach me? What am I not thankful for??
At the Passey's on Christmas with the missionaries they had over for dinner.
Let's start with some sweet miracles!! 

Kelly is a referral, who is just amazing. Holy cow. Her father is a member with dementia and her mother is not a member...so Kelly wasn't sure if she was a member or not....we contacted our clerk who contacted some dude in SLC to find out if she was....while Elder Teichert and I were in a meeting with Pres., I looked down and read: "Merry Christmas Elders!! She's not a member. Go for it." SWEET!! Kelly was also excited knowing that she'll get to see her own baptism at 29 years old and remember it well. Kelly is one who read about the word of wisdom online at mormon.org and quit alcohol, caffeine (going the extra mile) and coffee. Holy cow. Who does that? People that have been prepared!! So far we've taught her the Restoration and Plan of Salvation and her understanding is mind-blowing. We teach each other! Last night in our lesson we all couldn't stop smiling because of how dedicated Kelly is. She is the most prepared investigator I've had my entire mission. It was crazy to say, "If you know these things are true, and turns out you're not a member, will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized?" haha it was great. Oh man. Can't wait for January 24!! God has definitely blessed us. Looks like the mission fast is working miracles already.

Adrian is another investigator of ours we were able to work with during Christmas break! Very few YSA's remained in Tucson for the break. Adrian tore his ACL and is scared for a few things in the future. He found the church after a buddy of his invited him to come to a lesson, Adrian accepted to think it was a joke...until he felt something he hadn't felt before. We gave him a blessing to help him in his life and also his knee. Adrian is in the middle of fighting off some temptations that may be holding him back. Gah. Whenever we set a baptism date, we let them know to buckle down. Satan is about to go hard. You know that if Satan is working hard at something, that the pain is only temporary, and the blessings are way more valuable. 
#nofilter Welcome to AZ! 
 Christmas was this past week! Wooh!! We were on the road almost all of Thanksgiving, luckily Christmas wasn't!! We got to call home!! wooh!! It was great to hear my family and their voices! Whenever you don't hear from your family for a while (like 2 years) you begin to think about all the crazy change that has probably happened. Then you talk with them and realize that circumstances have changed, but they're still the awesome family you had before....they just keep growing in size each call home! :] 
Check out the sweet as Christmas tree :D Hint: it has 1000g of Sugar! :D
Something that I've been thinking about a lot lately while in the last chunk of my mish, is not becoming numb to miracles. I saw in myself that because we are always going around do so many different things, that it's easy to just take things as they are and not take time or effort to recognize the miracles around us. You can't become numb to the Atonement! Pretty crazy how important the little things are in life. I'm grateful for this chance to serve. Elder Simpson goes home this Saturday who has been an incredible example to me and has taught me some of the most valuable principles that I still stay close too, such as having confidence in your choices. 

Some crazy events this week are "M.U.D." and MLC. Mission Unity Day is Jan. 1 from 9-3 and is a MISSION-WIDE event. I have the layout right in front of me. Hours of sports, crafts, Sonoran dogs, talent show, and tons of fun with the entire mission. Today we only have a half p-day since Thursday will be most an all-day event. It's always fun to get missionaries the right housing for the night and to work with missionaries with travel arrangements. Friday is MLC. This one will be great!! Elder Teichert and I will be training on "Testifying and Promising Blessings." We're bringing back a basic principle since the mission is becoming young again. 
Meeting with Elders Obray and Gudmundson for a our transferly meeting. The ZL's out here are SO awesome and dedicated.
PMG: "When you testify, you help create an environment for investigators to feel the Holy Ghost confirming your witness of the truth. This prepares them to accept the commitments you will extend."

Not a whole lot else happened this past week. All I know is how grateful I am for this gospel. I learned that a priesthood blessing combined with a butt load of Vitamin C and a Sauna in the morning at the gym, is the best formula to get feeling better :] I'm grateful for the strength the Atonement gives us. I'm grateful for this chance I have been given to finish strong in this calling and ward! Our ward is so awesome and it looks like God will bless me with 1 or 2 more baptisms before I head home in Feb. I love you all and love hearing from you.

HAPPY NEW YEAR YO!! (feel free to go to my mom or dad's house to party)

-Elder Dallin. J. Hales

No comments: