Monday, March 25, 2013

Jimmy, my brother.

I've been meaning to get this up on Dallin's blog last week when I received it, but went out of town and accidentally left this letter at home.  Here is a letter I received via snail mail, 3/6.  

-Christy


I recently found out about my brother, Jimmy Hales, in Utah...apparently his "coming out" has been pretty well recognized by many people.  Some people believed being "gay" was a choice (including me).  Regardless of what people believe, I could not be more proud of my brother.  Just because someone is facing a life-changing trial doesn't mean they are doing something wrong.  Although my reaction was consistent laughing, I never thought about my brother differently, other than feeling sadness and sorrow for the life-long trial he is here to face.

I will have to admit, when I found out how big the reaction was to my brother, it was a little distracting from work.  Serving an LDS mission has given me opportunity to help people w/various challenges in their lives.  Everyone has continuous trials in their lives, Jimmy's is on that poeople aren't used to hearing.  A gay Mormon?  How is that possible?  Our faith can't change problems people are going to face, but our faith gets us through those challenges.

Jimmy is a great example and is giving many others the opportunity to face something "new" instead of keeping something "old" a secret.

I may be serving a mission, but my support will be there.  By serving out here, it will just open the opportunity to bring comfort unto others.  My gratitude is high for not having t to go through what my brother is, but this is a great example to many.  Trials always make us stronger.  A trial Jimmy wasn't sure what to do about for 25 years is now helping many others out by expressing that it's okay to admit one's trial.  Again, trials will always make us stronger.

-Elder Dallin Hales

No comments: