Thursday, March 21, 2013

Week 6 - We could also see Mexico.


Another week in the lovely town of Deming freakin' NM. Been a slowish week..
 
Gotten letters from a bunch of friends this week, thank you so much, they seriously are amazing. Written everyone back!
 
Last pday we went on a long hike up Red Mountain where we could look over all of Deming.....there's nothing here haha. We could also see Mexico.
We've been helping a guy out named 'Dean' who is a major motion pictures director/script writer/ scene worker dude. Out here there is an old western town which has had a bunch of movies shot at it and it's a big opportunity for us to do service. We go out there every few days and help paint it. Dean is Miranda Lambert's cousin apparently hahah awesome.
This week was a slower week because of many canceled or forgotten appointments from members/larks/investigators. We have 8 investigators here and try our hardest to keep getting more. It's rather rough. Some days while tracting we only can talk to a couple people max. Alwell.
We did have one lesson with an investigator this past week which was very awesome. His name is Victor and we've had to reschedule a couple times because he's 'on call' for the volunteer fire department. We were finally able to sit down and talk with him. It started out with him saying he wasn't going to join any church, but then lead to us teaching the first discussion. Everything went well and my comp. and I had good unity with switching back and forth between every principle. Then it was my turn to recite the first vision, and at a zone training we were told to try and take 50-55 seconds while saying...that's a very long time. Anyways, I tried to take my time while saying it and the spirit was there. Started to sort of choke up from the spirit, and Victor said he felt it. The spirit is so crazy when it hits your investigators. After answering questions and talking with him for about an hour, he said "yes I'll consider it" with a huge smile on his face when asked if he would prepare himeself to be baptized. Should have a couple baptism dates this week!! Crazy.
 
If anyone snail mail's me pictures, they go up on my wall! :]
A scripture that's helped with the small town adjusting and work down here is 3Nephi 12:47 "old things are done away, and all things have become new." Yup. Awesome. I'm a spiritual tard.
 
I've counted about 65 letters that I've written while on a mission hahaha, if you write me, I WILL write you back when I can!
I can tell from the support back home from friends and family that it has given me such peace this last week. While my comp. was out this week, I tried to take advantage of the time and have been given so many blessings throughout the week. For instance, on 3/16/13 while reading my journal, I got this instant comfort that made me even more excited to be on a mission...I remember looking out the window and knowing it was someone praying for me. Thank you.

Another cool experience was a baptism two days ago with a couple from our Ward (not taught by us). Elder Flint and I were given the small opportunity to do the '5MTM' which is the short teaching moment after they get baptized. We went with a simple versions of the first discussion and the spirit was so strong. Matt and Carol were so overwhelmed with the spirit they couldn't keep the tears in. It's opportunities like those that make me so excited for missionary work. This gospel can bring SO MUCH to people's lives. We are given the job to 'invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receieve the restored gospel' and even if it means people don't/won't accept it, we've given them the opportunity to receive it. If they reject it, they can't stand before God and say they never had the chance. It sucks at times, that's for sure.
The blessings from serving a mission are remarkable. My comp. said "this is the hardest part of my mission" which describes our area pretty well hahah. We continue to strive on improving and asking for what sacrifices need to be made in order to excel even more. The spirit is so awesome, it blows my mind.
 
Where is Heavenly Father from? What is our Heavenly Mother's role? MIND=BLOWN.
 
Thank you everyone. One more PDAY until transfer week! Anxious to see what happens.
 
Peace out homies!
:D

No comments: