Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Week 54 - Today marks the year that I entered the field.

Let's start with a poem I forgot I wrote a few weeks back at the library:


I be chillin' here, hiding low, about to leave, computer's slow.
My fam. is great, the Church is true, come at me bro., we'll baptize you.
One year is gone, but one is left, give it your all, no less than best.
Sierra Vista, #saveasoul, today okay? Don't lose your call.
A super tard, or trunky man, they are out there, at the end.
All the gf's, it's too late, keep working hard, they found the bate.
Obedience, and diligence, try reverence, don't be content.
PMG, in ATM, let's help the world, all over again.

I'm not too sure what was going through my mind at the time, but meh.

Hope all is well to whomever is reading this! :] We were blessed with having a really GREAT week. Man, ah, it was sweet.

To go along with our zone goal of 10,000 push-ups per week, some companionships aren't quite as motivated in doing pu's before 7am. So as a result, Elder Simpson and I have gone to a couple apartments after the gym at 6:30 and either found a way in or just went up to their door, blasting upbeat church music, and then going in, and doing push-ups with them to get them pumped up! haha it is funny as. We all have a good time. 

Crashing into missionary's apartments at 6:30am. We got awesome videos of it, so hopefully they can go on the blog :] (thank you Christy!!)  [Video to come.]

Last Tuesday we taught the Laurel's "How to teach the Plan of Salvation?" It was fun to roll play with teenagers. It's so crazy to think back to HIgh School. Tonight we were asked to go to mutual and present a 5-10 little shpill on our Pre-mortal life (pre-mission) up until now and talk briefly about the work. It's a combined activity for all the youth tonight, so it should be fun. I love to be up in front of groups of people to talk about something so motivating.

Last week, the Assistant's came down and we did a day exchange with them. It was fun! I stayed in our area with Elder Zilles and we went out and taught people about Christ and all that good stuff. In the morning, Victoria was home, a new investigator who's mom is a member (PM family). She's brought up concerns on gays in the church and the church's looks on trans-gender people. All concerns are unique. This time, the question was asked, "Do you have a relationship with God?" She said, "I don't think so." but was suuper open about it. So we taught her about prayer and she prayed at the end! Good things happen on exchanges. It was our first lesson with her. 

Elder Chamberlain's district meeting. He used food as an analogy. YEAH!

Later that night, we contacted two referrals, Jeremy and Amanda. Amanda has a more agnostic view of things but was open about it. With people having those beliefs, we must make sure that you put no pressure on them, or else they may reject it first hand. Jeremy is interested and wants the best for his wife. They were busy for our next apt., but we'll see them tomorrow night! TBA.


Every week Elder Simpson and I do some blitzes, meaning we go and crash another set of missionary's area to help them find. We meet up with them, decide where to go, and head out and then meet back when time is gone. This week it was with Sister's in our zone. During the blitz, no news were found, but potentials were! You must talk with literally everyone that you see, or else you might miss someone. That someone could be prepared for YOU. To put it into perspective. Imagine walking down the street one day, and going up and talking to EVERYONE that you see. It's pretty fun. Awkward situations? Pff. Never. Anyways, those Sisters met SOE this week and killed it out here! Within the next two days, they set 2 BD's! They are rockin' the push-up's too. Gosh the Church is TRUE!
Out blitzing!


One of our investigator's, Loretta, has a set date that looks like it's the one. March 1st. We've been teaching her and have almost gone through everything necessary before baptism. Satan is working hard with scheduling things the day of baptism, that's why we had to push it back again, but this time she's set and will be ready!

Today marks the year that I entered the field. A year ago today, we were on our way to Tucson from the MTC to meet President and Sister Killpack and then ended the night with testimony meeting at the mission home. President and Sister Killpack go home the beginning of July, man, they will be GREATLY missed, but the Lord qualifies everyone he calls!

Elder Johnson (MTC COMP), Sister Jamieson (same MTC district) and myself burning shirts as part of the tradition for your 1 year mark. 

Every night almost, we have a little study sesh with a buddy of ours named Laeke. He recently broke up with his gf after praying to help get himself on the right path. There's been lots of things happening with Laeke, and now he is quite alone. So, we're in contact with him every night and the ultimate goal is the temple, and a mission! He's 21. He asked us to give him a blessing this past week, and I was fortunate to be able to do that. There's good things in store for him. I'm going to start to write people's names down in my planner of who to pray for at the end of the day....lots of people always say, "Please pray for me" and so hopefully that's one more way for miracles to God's children.

Yesterday right before dinner, Elder Simpson and I had a miracle. My comp. said, "I've never had something like that happen before." and I haven't had one that strong before. Wow. Now that you're all left hanging, here's what happened:


For PDAY sports yesterday, we played bball, 4 sqaure and dodgeball. They were all WAY fun. For some reason, my companion and I decided to leave early, even though we had nothing until 6pm. We left a little after 4, went home, showered and got ready, and I layed on the couch for a few mins. Elder Simpson grabbed the keys and said, "Ready?" I said,"For what?" He said, "I don't know haha." Then he sat back down. Then like 5 mins. later, we both just randomly got up and left....without saying where we were going, or whether we were going to even eat dinner. It was crazy. On our way out, we turned on to Campus Drive, still not saying anything about what we were doing. I waved to a guy that was chillin' on a rock by himself, all alone. He waved back....then up the ways, apparently both of us were thinking about that guy. Elder Simpson made a U-turn.


Me: "Where we going?"


Elder Simpson: "To talk to that guy."


Me: "Yup."

It was inspired, no doubt. When we got there, the guy started walking towards us! We had a really good talk with him, Elder Simpson is awesome with talking with people. I asked "Are you searching for something?" DJ said, "...actually, yeah." We got talking before his ride got there. Got his digits, and address and we'll be seeing him soon. Wow. It was awesome. You get little promptings to talk to people, but this one was very strong. That's why we must talk with EVERYONE, so then we won't have to worry as much to focus on whether it's a prompting or whether it's just us. It would have been very easy to miss this guy, but the Lord directed us straight to him!
Giving out some braclet things my mom sent to me! The kids loved them. The one on the left is Kendall, she's an investigator.


Elder Simpson said, "We've been coming across a lot of people with questions about gays out here!" It's crazy. Pretty weird. That concern is growing like crzy.

I played the drums shortly at a member's home....wow, it's been over a year. 

Drums!! Crazy.Felt so good.

Acts 20:24
Acts 26:16-18
Romans 1:9-10
Romans 5:19 "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." 


As you can tell, I'm reading the bible.

Well, time to go almost. Thank you everyone for the support. This past week I asked my companion for a blessing as I felt it was the right thing to do. It definitely helped me for some worries I've been having. The Priesthood power is true. I'm grateful for my family. I'm grateful for an awesome companion and zone that want to go out and work. It kills us to see people doing their best in their life, and it seems to come crashing down on them. Why was Christ crucified? For us. The Atonement is REAL!

I wonder what I'll think when I read all of this is many years down the road. Probably the same I do now. Tard.

Love you all! Things are good out here and your prayers are felt always. 
-Elder DJ Hales

No comments: