Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 55 - #lifeofamissionary

Well, I guess there's a first for everything. I learned a lot this past week, about myself, and how much I hate to throw up.

But first...the important stuff... ahem.

Yesterday at church we had the most investigators at church I've had since being transferred here. All of them stayed the whole block, and are all doing awesome! It was the best Sunday to have investigators at church. Ah man. Too awesome.

Ashley is an investigator who's husband is a member who fought in war and is one of the most chill dudes out there. She comes from a Jehovah's Witness family, and she is a former JW as well. While her and her husband went through hell at various times in their lives, it's so cool to see where they are now. Ashley doesn't have much family support because of some things that happened and it not seeming acceptable within her parents' religion. We've taught her a couple times, and previous missionaries have gone over there for a while now and done more of a Q & A type deal, and last night we taught her the Plan of Salvation. It went reeeally well, and the members helped a lot. She took it all in and I'm not sure I've seen someone want to know so much about the Plan of Salvation to help answer questions. At the end we asked her how she was feeling and she said anxious, because "I know what's there and I know what I have to do." After that, baptism was talked about a lot. Her husband's hilarious and always throws out comments like, "I told you from day one, we'll get married, have a kid, you'll get baptized, and then we'll get married in the temple." in a really joking way hahah. Afterwards, her eyes seemed to be opened to many new things. She'll have a BD soon enough! :]

Loretta's baptism is planned for this Saturday! Although there's a temple dedication this coming Sunday, we've got the go to have her confirmed at the baptism. She went to Mexico this past weekend (and hopefully went to church) and says she's ready. She's in our prayers!!

A set of Sister missionaries called us one day to go and give one of their invests. a blessing because her ex had been practicing witchcraft crap on her......nice. That stuff is scaringly real. Satan blows. We went over and she explained how her dreams have been influenced by Satan and she feels 'hooked' by Satan, and her kids tell her that her eyes look possessed in the morning....hmmm. I've come across almost that exact situation a few times on my mish., and Itzel wanted a blessing. She asked me to give it, and it was a very peaceful blessing. I love to see non-members feel God's love in a large amount. The blessing made sure nothing would hold her back anymore. We haven't followed up with her yet, but I'm sure things are better for her now. 

Half of our zone were in a ward's talent show! (On video!)

Jeremy and Amanda are two of our invests. Amanda has a more 'agnostic' view, but it AWESOME. They are both AWESOME.....AWESOME. They both came to church too! We could probably set a date with Jeremy, but we'll see what happens.

Kendall also came to church! She's 10 and really happy. Her parents are going through a divorce and seem to be in the more ugly stage of it. Elder Simpson and I both came from split famillies, so it's times like these we feel that it was inspired for us to be here.

Today is Elder Simpson's bday. HAPPY BDAY ELDER SIMPSON!!! One day you'll read this. He's the big 20. Tonight, members are taking good care of him :] *cake face SMASH* we're taking him out to eat too.
Elder Simpson pushing Calian around. This family is moving to Layton a week from today! (They may or may not show up at your front step on day...dad).


I remember in the MTC praying for a better understanding of the Atonement, and having my eyes opened a little bit by bit. I've done that for some time now, and this past week...I was sick....the first time I've been sick on my mission, and man it suuucked. There's nothing more miserable than being sick on a mission. You can't do anything, and the work is paused. IT SUCKKS!! It made me realize more, that in all times, the Savior does know how you feel. No matter what. Even when there's no one (or drugs) to turn to. I had 1 meal in over 2 days, and threw it up. It sucked. Regardless of me being sick, we still went out everyday and we were able to have a decent week. I learned a lot and feel it's helped me grow. It just sucked. I got to taste Chilis twice though :D The members are taking great care of us out here.
Playing war with Nathan! He's mentally disabled, but seriously one of the funniest kids around.


The past few days we've had a 'mini missionary' with us. Basically someone that stays with us and does everything we do for a day or two. It's been great! His name is Laeke and he's working on going on a mission.

 One night with Laeke while he was doing his mini-mission. I took the ground :]

Tonight we have exchanges throughout the whole zone for the mission wide "Day" of which we're focusing on 1 certain thing, asking for referrals no matter the situation. It's stressful to think about getting the rides figured out, but that's the fun of the calling! #lifeofamissionary

Romans 12:2 "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Well, the church is true. It always is. It's crazy what kind of concerns are out there, but it just means we're doing a good job to make people think about something so deeply. The church is true and I'm grateful to be able to go out and serve the people of Sierra Vista. There's people waiting everywhere. From Deming to Tucson to Sierra Vista. (Deming is ON FIRE right now with work!!!)

Love you all! The support was huuuge this past week. Thank  you all. I love ya'lls face.

-Elder Dallin Hales

No comments: